Friday, August 26

Fly me to the moon...or the USA.

Before I begin just let me say - I wish wish wish that I was more aware of the presence of my camera.  I always have so much regret at the pictures that I didn't take.  But I guess that means it's because I was too caught up in enjoying the moment rather than in the capturing of it.  Right?

Anyway -  Royce and I tackled a 30 hour flight day to get to Redding, CA to visit his grandma and grandpa and then later to a wedding.  Aaron wasn't able to come because he was still in school and would be taking finals while we were away. 

Things started out well.  We waited in the St. Kitts Airport for our first flight which would take us to Miami.  In Miami Royce was a wild child.  He moved and moved and moved some more and I had to follow him while he weaved through legs of busy travelers with a few of them having the time to stop and comment on how cute he was.  One lady even came up and asked if she could take his picture.  That was a little weird for me but I figured, "what the heck."


Our flights were all "red-eye" flights but Royce liked looking outside the terminal and seeing all the airplanes take off.  There was also a really great thunderstorm that we enjoyed watching.

 

This is my sorry attempt to get a picture of myself in.  It's always just me and Royce and since he doesn't quite know how to work a camera (appropriately at least) I have to take all the pictures.


He's so kissable. 

Our next flight was from Miami to LA.  I was dreading the getting to LA part because we had a 7 hour layover from midnight to 7.  This meant there was not enough time to get a hotel and we would have to find a cozy spot on the floor.  I was a zombie by the time we got to the airport.  I found a terminal that seemed quiet and dark (except for the several times an hour announcements) and I put my protective mama bear arm around Royce and our carry-on backpack and we fell asleep...on the LAX floor.  Not fun.  About 3 hours into our sleep I hear "Ma'am?  Ma'am!  I brought you a pillow and a blanket."  I look up and see an airport worker with a plastic wrapped pillow and blanket.  I was half asleep so all I could slip out was, "Oh!  Thank you!"  He seemed satisfied and left.  It was so thoughtful of him though.  Royce and I both slept better with the pillow.


He managed to sleep a little better than I did.  Imagine that.


It's morning in the LAX!  He's still asleep.  I was even impressed.


Day 2 of our flight.  After a quick wet wipe bath and change of clothes our next flight arrived took us to San Francisco.  Royce, I have to admit, is a wonderful traveler.  There were no horrible outbursts.  He usually sleeps the majority of the flight and then plays quietly (or eats) the second half.  Here he is in the plane.


From San Francisco we flew to Redding.  The hardest parts of the 30 hours was getting all our luggage and going through customs in Miami and then getting our luggage again and checking into a different airline to take us to Redding.  It's not so easy.  I have never travelled in a plane with Royce and Aaron.  It is going to be a dream come true when I have another adult help me with this guy.  Then maybe during the layovers I will have a moment to sit and relax while Aaron chases Royce from terminal D60 down the hall to D30 and back again. 

*our trip to the US - to be continued...*

No comments:

Post a Comment