Every night before bed I sing each child a song. I stroke their hair and quietly sing them a song of their choice. It usually ends up being "I Am a Child of God." Usually.
Every Tuesday we go to the library and check out books and movies. This trip I saw the old animated series of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and could not resist my urge to take it home with me. Royce LOVED it. A lot. Case in point:
When asking Royce what song he would like me to sing to him for bed he promptly answers, "Turtle song!"
Me: "Royce, I'm not going to sing your Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to bed."
Royce: "Turtle song!!!!" (followed by whining)
Now I don't normally give in to tantrums and whining but I had to stop and remember that this is their bedtime song that I let them choose. So Royce lays down and I lovingly stroke his hair and I quietly sing the following words:
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turltles
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Heroes in a half-shell - Turtle Power!
They're the worlds most fearsome fighting team
They're heroes in a half-shell and they're green!
When the evil shredder attacks -
Those turtle boys don't cut him no slack!
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turltles
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Heroes in a half-shell - Turtle Power!"
This is all from memory, of course, because he's obsessed and we watch it often. I didn't know the next verse so the next day I payed extra close attention to the lyrics because sure enough the next night Royce wanted the "Turtle Song." Royce wanted the Turtle Song the next several nights and I felt like an idiot singing it to him softly and sweetly every night while stroking his darn cute little head. It just doesn't quite have the lullaby ring to it but it seemed to satisfy him and lull him to sleep.
The things we mothers do for our children. They will never know.
Turtle Power!
No comments:
Post a Comment